AFP Top Ten Fundraising Tips (Week of April 11, 2018): Should You Be on Facebook, Underlining Text, Greetings and Salutations & More!
Need some tips on how to do your job better? Or maybe just a reminder on some key skills, the insight on the latest research, and the latest, coolest ideas from the best minds in the fundraising profession?
Each week, AFP gathers the top blog posts, videos, articles and other resources to help you keep on top of latest trends and reach your fundraising goals. Here’s this week’s Top Ten:
1. The Wrong Major Donor Offers (The Veritus Group): Bonding your donor to the cause is the objective of your efforts as a major gift officer, or any fundraiser. If you just give donors recognition, they will not bond with your cause. And if they do not bond with your cause, they will eventually go away.
2. Nonprofits on Facebook: Is It Time for Us to Delete Facebook? (JC Social Marketing): A good discussion of what is happening with Facebook now, what it means for nonprofits and donors and how charities should respond.
3. Three Things Your Fundraising Team Wants to Tell You But Can’t (Generocity): There is no magic formula for raising money. No silver bullet, no secret strategy that everyone but you knows, no automatically approved request from Oprah (or Bill Gates, or Mark Zuckerberg).Non-fundraisers, here are three things your fundraising team wants to tell you — but can’t.
4. Greetings and Salutations (The Donor Relations Guru): You probably don’t give too much thought to the greetings and salutations you use in your letters. Might be worth it to pay a little more attention!
5. Five Easy Tips for Better Planned Giving Marketing (Fired Up Fundraising): Check out these five helpful tips from planned giving expert Michael J. Rosen – and get ready to bring in more planned-gift support for your organization.
6. How to Choose What to Underline and Why (The Better Fundraising Blog): Underlining has two purposes in fundraising writing. Almost nobody knows the second – and more important – purpose.
7. #MeToo and Your Members (Associations Now): As industry leaders, how associations respond to sexual harassment matters—to the individual and to their community. Associations are facing challenging questions about how to set the bar for acceptable conduct in their field, enforce fair policies, and promote a positive professional culture that attracts the best talent.
8. Twelve Donation Appeal Ideas for Each Month of the Year (bloomerang): Why wait for special events or giving days? An appeal idea for each month, which hopefully inspires you to think of your own as well.
9. Stuck On the Bottom Line (The Agitator): Some thoughts on why overall giving seems to be stuck at two percent of Gross Domestic Product—every year.
10. Ten Most Effective Communication and Fundraising Tools, According to Nonprofits (Nonprofit Tech for Good): Survey respondents for the 2018 Global NGO Technology Report were asked to rate the effectiveness of the most commonly used communication and fundraising tools. Their answers provide valuable insight into which tools NPOs, NGOs, and charities should prioritize in their communications and fundraising strategy.