Development AssistantCompany: Boyce Thompson Institue
Date Posted: May 6, 2015
The Development Assistant is responsible for all administrative aspects of development and public relations activities at the Boyce Thompson Institute.
The Development Assistant plays an important role by providing administrative support to the Development Office and participating in all fundraising activities including donor and public relations, direct mail appeals, and special events.
In this position, you will report to and work closely with the Vice President for Communications and Development, manage her daily schedule and coordinate long term projects. While you will have a number of mandatory responsibilities, the position is flexible enough to grow to your strengths and interests within the development objectives.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Work deeply within database, maintaining workflow and the strategy associated with donors
- Track and handle the departmental budget
- Process donations and prepare acknowledgment letters
- Maintain and grow corporate and individual donor files
- Create monthly fundraising reports and other analytic reports as needed
- Conduct preliminary research on prospective corporate, foundation, and individual donors.
- Coordinate productions and mailing of appeal letters
- Answer donors questions regarding all gift history and tax credit needs.
- Maintain guest lists, gather and prepare registration materials and other duties as assigned for communications and development events.
- Handle all administrative details associated with the VP, Communications and Development
- Prepare media materials for distribution
- Assemble media and donor kits for events and meetings
- Serve as time keeper and note taker during meetings, expected to follow up with
- Other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree or 3+ years administrative support experience,
- Strong organizational skills and ability to exercise independent judgment
- Demonstrated expertise utilizing Microsoft Suite including Outlook, Word, Excel, Powerpoint. Basic HTML a plus.
- Experience with database management
- Experience prioritizing assignments to complete work in a timely manner under the pressure of deadlines and interruptions
- Demonstrated skill and experience writing clear, concise and grammatically correct correspondence and meeting minutes as needed
- Demonstrated ability to make independent judgments with minimal direction and to discern when action of a higher level is required.
- Ability to work occasional weekend and/or evening overtime hours.
- Demonstrated experience working independently and as a member of a team.
- Demonstrated interpersonal skills to professionally interact with faculty, staff, students, co-workers, and donors. Ability to provide information and direction to a diverse population in a diplomatic and tactful manner.
- Ability to work in an environment that requires a high level of confidentiality.
- Demonstrate the ability to search for and compile data in a clear, comprehensive format.
- Ability to work independently with little supervision and to organize and prioritize work.
- 5+ years administrative support experience, in a non-profit development office
- Experience with Salesforce software
- Knowledge of principles, methods and practices of the development profession in general and as it relates to the Institution.
- Knowledge of research techniques and resources in the fields of philanthropy, and plant research.
- Passion for the mission of the Boyce Thompson Institute and an understanding of our research
- Experience as a database administrator