Director of DevelopmentCompany: Association for Vision Rehabilitation and Employment, Inc.
Date Posted: March 22, 2016
ASSOCIATION FOR VISION REHABILITATION AND EMPLOYMENT, INC.
Director of Development
I JOB IDENTIFICATION
A. TITLE: Director of Development
B. REPORTS TO: President/CEO
II STATEMENT OF PURPOSE
The Director of Development is responsible for building and enhancing relationships with current donors and prospects. The DD will work independently, with senior staff, and the Foundation Board of Directors. The DD will play a key role in organizing and leading a major and planned gifts program and in securing private philanthropic gifts in support of AVRE’s mission.
III RESPONSIBILITY FOR THE WORK OF OTHERS
Supervisory responsibility for departmental staff.
IV BUSINESS COMMUNICATIONS
- Communication with the CEO and COO is frequent.
- Communication with the Marketing and Development Specialist is frequent.
- Communication with the Foundation Board is regular.
- Communication with Senior Leadership Team is regular.
V SUPERVISION REQUIRED
The incumbent is expected to act and function independently within the parameters defined by the President/CEO and the Board of Directors.
VI EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE REQUIRED
- A Bachelor’s degree in Fundraising Management, Philanthropic Studies, Public Administration, or a related field is required. CFRE credentials preferred.
- At least five years of related experience identifying, cultivating, and soliciting major and planned gifts.
- Excellent written and verbal communication, public speaking, and interpersonal skills.
- Experience working with donor databases, e.g. RaisersEdge.
- Experience in researching and completing grant opportunities.
- Comfortable building working relationships with individuals and businesses relative to fundraising, as well as representing AVRE to the community.
VII SPECIFIC DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Assist in identifying donor prospects with the financial capacity to make major and planned gifts.
- Formulate strategies for building relationships with individual and foundation donor prospects.
- Support Board members and the CEO/COO in making introductions and securing major and planned gifts.
- Solicit major gifts of $1,000 or more and arrange for planned gifts from appropriate prospects.
- Support and lead stewardship of current and future donors. Assist with Annual Appeal as necessary.
- Maintain and enhance donor data base.
- Research, write, and steward foundation proposals as appropriate.
- Provide resource support for the Foundation Board of Directors as needed.
- Build relationships with individuals and businesses across AVRE’s nine county service territory.
- Share supervisory responsibility of the Development and Marketing Specialist.
- Provide ongoing support for all AVRE advancement activities as needed.
- Participate in committees and complete special projects as appropriate.
- Participate in ongoing professional development activities.
- Travel as needed to fulfill job responsibilities.
AVRE offers a competitive salary and a comprehensive benefit program.
View the full job description at www.avreus.org – Click on “Career Opportunities”
AVRE is an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer.
Please submit cover letter, resume, and salary requirements to:
Dianne Cappiello, Human Resources
174 Court Street
Binghamton, NY 13901
Via email – firstname.lastname@example.org
AVRE is a private, non-profit organization. Its mission is to create opportunities for success and independence with people who have sustained vision loss. A Foundation for Vision Rehabilitation and Employment, Inc. (FVRE) is managed by a separate Board of Directors and is charged with oversight and growth of the investment portfolio and endowment. We operate a 93,000 square foot facility in Downtown Binghamton and off-site switchboard operations at three Veterans Administration Medical Centers. At the Binghamton facility we convert large rolls of paper (2 -3 thousand pounds) into manila file folders and copy paper. We also perform packaging and assembly operations that allow us to employ individuals with a range of skill sets and abilities.
AVRE is the only organization in the Southern Tier of New York that provides specialized employment and rehabilitation services for individuals who are blind or visually impaired. We provide rehabilitation services to consumers in the home, school, workplace, and at our Binghamton location. Our vision rehabilitation services include a low vision clinic, an information technology center, a retail store, orientation and mobility instruction, and independent living skills training. Our New York service counties include Broome, Tioga, Delaware, Otsego, Schuyler, Chemung, Tompkins, Cortland, and Chenango.
AVRE’s dual business model enables it to be a self-sustaining human services organization. Individuals who are blind manufacture products and provide services for sale and distribution into the federal, state, and commercial markets. Operating income generated from these business activities is used to offset some of the cost of providing vision rehabilitation services. AVRE is positioned for growth in both the business division and provision of services.