EXECUTIVE DIRECTORCompany: Northeast Organic Farming Association of New York, Inc. (NOFA-NY)
Date Posted: April 8, 2016
Position Requirements and Expectations: The Executive Director will work collaboratively with the Board of Directors and Staff to lead the organization’s:
- Vision- Exemplify progressive leadership that promotes organic and sustainable agriculture
- Network Building – Expand and strengthen NOFA-NY’s role as a leader of the organic farming community and local foods movement by building relationships with state and national organizations.
- Fundraising – Lead and work with staff to maintain and grow NOFA-NY’s financial stability by coordinating grants for federal, state, and foundation funding, cultivating major donors, growing individual donations and membership, organizing fundraising events.
- Policy Action – Contribute, articulate and implement clear policy that promotes sustainable and organic farming and food in New York State.
- Membership Development- Improve programs and policies that promote and increase membership and influence of NOFA-NY
- Program Development –Work with Education and Operations managers, and staff to develop and support dynamic and engaging educational programs that meet the stated needs of our constituents.
- Organizational Management – Insure collaboration and cooperation among NOFA-NY staff, Certified Organic LLC staff and with the Board of Directors. Oversee and support financial management, communications, development, and program development.
Qualifications: The ideal candidate will have extensive practical experience in organizational management and a record of exemplary success in the professional domains encompassed by the position requirements and expectations described above. The successful candidate will have:
- Experience with local, organic agriculture, and rural community development.
- An engaging and positive personality.
- A proven ability to manage and inspire a professional staff and board.
- Experience with management and administration.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills through all media channels.
- A proven, creative and effective fundraising record with public and private donors, foundations, and grant writing.
- An effective and respected public presence.
- Excellent communication skills
- Willingness to travel, and meet farmers, funders, members and staff.
- Ability to be the public face of NOFA-NY as a leader in the national organic food and farming movement.
- Ability to build bridges among diverse communities, stakeholders and networks.
Although NOFA-NY’s office is located in Farmington, NY, extensive statewide travel will be part of the job. The candidate may be based elsewhere. Salary and benefits will be commensurate with experience and comparable to those of organizations of similar type, size, and location. NOFA-NY’s benefits package includes employer-paid medical insurance, dental insurance, life insurance, and a 403(b) retirement plan. Vacation, personal, and compensatory time policies are generous.
Application: Candidates should submit a cover letter, resume, two relevant writing samples, and three references (two supervisor references) to NOFA-NY’s Search Committee. The cover letter should specifically address the following four points:
- Your commitment and passion for organic food and farming.
- Your connection with agriculture.
- Your experience in organizational management and administration.
- Your experience in fundraising detailing experience with grants and donors.
Application materials shall be submitted electronically by May 15th, 2016 as a single PDF attachment and addressed to firstname.lastname@example.org, subject line: “<candidate’s name> – NOFA-NY ED Application.”
Questions regarding this announcement may be submitted by email to email@example.com; subject line: “<your name> – NOFA-NY ED Inquiry.” Please include your full name and contact information (email address and phone number) in the body of the email.
NOFA-NY is an equal opportunity employer and encourages applicants from diverse backgrounds to apply.