Annual Fund ManagerCompany: Boyce Thompson Institute
Date Posted: December 7, 2017
BTI was founded in 1924 by philanthropist William Boyce Thompson. While travelling to Russia on a Red Cross relief mission after the revolution, he made a connection between political instability and food supply. He was a visionary who was thinking about budgeoning global populations and the environmental impact of agriculture. He felt so strongly that he founded a plant science research institution, believing that the key to all of these issues might lie within plants.
Today, BTI is housed on the Cornell University campus, and remains a fully independant affiliate conducting research in the life sciences. For more information about BTI, visit our website.
The Annual Fund Manager is responsible for managing and growing the Institute’s relatively new annual giving program. This position collaborates with the VP of Institutional Advancement to build an effective program that includes direct mail, peer to peer fundraising, in-person solicitation, grants, and sponsorships. The AGM will work to attract and retain donors which will include individuals, corporations, foundations, and organizations. This position requires maintenance of all relevant records in Raiser’s Edge, as well as analysis of this data to make any necessary changes to the giving program. The AGM will work strategically with other staff and volunteer solicitors to manage donor relationships and to achieve goals. May also perform some supervisory duties of interns, providing feedback and advice as needed.
Essential Job Functions
- Develops and implements an Annual Giving Campaign program using a variety of solicitation strategies to achieve annual goals.
- Manages the identification, research, and cultivation of current and potential donors, in coordination with other staff and volunteer solicitors.
- Coordinates occasional small donor appreciation events, including volunteers.
- Acts as a spokesperson for the organization as needed.
- Consults with the VP of Advancement to strategize annual campaign fundraising efforts and works closely with other Advancement staff, including Communications to execute strategies.
- Ensures that pledges and gifts are recorded accurately and acknowledgements are timely and appropriate.
- Implement an annual recognition strategy for annual campaign donors/volunteers.
- Assure maintenance of donor records, including communications or notes with staff or volunteer solicitors and donors.
- Research, write and prepare sponsorship and grant proposals for a variety of opportunities.
- Forge strategic relationships with Institute stakeholders. Develops a working knowledge of the Institute’s organizational structure, programs, and research, and navigates a variety of subcultures.
- Other duties as assigned
Education and Certification
Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience, and evidence of ongoing professional development such as AFP membership and program attendance.
Experience and Knowledge
3-5 years experience in managing annual giving campaigns. Face to face solicitation experience. Knowledge of fund development principles and public relations.Position requires ability to prioritize in a busy office with a high volume of activity and projects. Strong organizational and administrative skills. Experience preparing written reports and presentations.
Indirect supervision of interns as needed.
Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written, are required as well as an ability to work with a diverse constituency. Position must manage highly confidential information. Solid writing, editing, presentation, and public speaking skills. Must demonstrate professional demeanor.
Proficient use of Microsoft Office, especially word processing, spreadsheets, data entry and data analysis, and desktop publishing. A strong understanding of databases (Raisers’ Edge strongly preferred).
May involve occasional travel.
Physical Demands and Working Conditions
The work is conducted in an office setting. The work is sedentary with extended periods of sitting. Some walking, standing, bending, and carrying or lifting of small items. Generally no adverse environmental conditions are present. May require occasional evening and weekend work.
This job description does not list all the duties of the job. You may be asked to perform other duties. BTI has the right to revise this job description at any time. The job description is not a contract of employment.